APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1199944432

Subject: Re: [APG] Genealogy Definitions - genealogist, 2nd try
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:53:52 EST

Patricia, you asked for posted comments. I agree with your last two
recommendations, but at the risk of appearing negative, consider your revised
definition of genealogist to be both too long, and too restirictively specific with
the added "what one does" matter. Both of these general considerations have
been mentioned earlier, and there seemed to be some agreement that
definitions should be kept short, and not attempt to catalog all aspects of any
particular category. That would seem especially important for the most general and
inclusive definition.

Donn Devine, CG, CGL
Wilmington, Delaware, USA

CG, Certified Genealogist, CGL, and Certified Genealogical Lecturer are
service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, used under license
by board certificants after periodic evaluation, and the board name is
registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office.

_______________

In a message dated 1/9/2008 10:14:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, Patricia
Summers-Smith writes:

At 03:58 PM 1/7/2008, wrote:
>A genealogist is one who studies the past and present of individual families
>and the kinship links among those families. Practitioners of genealogy may
>focus entirely on their own family, or they may pursue genealogy as either
>profession or a scholarly field.
>
>A professional genealogist is one who earns part or all of their livelihood
>from the practice of some aspect of genealogy.

While I've received private emails agreeing with my first post, no
one has publicly posted to the list. In fact, my post has been
completely ignored by those who have been compiling the
list. Perhaps it is felt that the topic had run its course and that
I am a bit late in offering any input to the topic. However, I don't
feel the topic is quite finished regarding the description of a
genealogist and would like to see a bit more discussion about the
core definition of a "genealogist". If you disagree with me, then by
all means, post your disagreement. If you agree with me, then please
post your agreement. The topic was initiated and I thought it was
open for all APG members.

I've considered the description of "genealogist" since this topic
first appeared on the list and feel the definition of a "genealogist"
on the compiled list is inadequate. All of the other descriptions
define and differentiate somewhat in terms of "what they do" in order
to explain "what they are". The simple description of a "genealogist"
should also contain a little of that language to define the core of
what a basic genealogist is and does before they can be defined as a
CG, forensic, genetic or by any other definition specialty.

I'd like to offer a revised description for "genealogist" as a more
complete definition:

"A genealogist is one who studies the past and present of individual
families and the kinship links among those families through research
of source materials, record interpretation, research methodology,
evidence analysis, kinship determination, and genealogical writing.
They may use DNA analysis and research to enhance knowledge about
kinship ties. Practitioners of genealogy may focus entirely on their
own family, or they may pursue genealogy as either a profession or a
scholarly field.

A professional genealogist is one who earns part or all of their
livelihood from the practice of some aspect of genealogy."

I'd like to also suggest that the words "above average" be removed
from the "certified genealogist" description, so that sentence simply
reads, "The credential identifies the holder as one who has achieved
proficiency in ..."