APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1200021534

From: Elizabeth Whitaker <>
Subject: Re: [APG] WWI Draft Registration Card question
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:18:54 -0500

World War I draft registration was held on specific days.
There were
something like three or four registration sessions in 1917
and 1918.
At least one of these was one day in length. (These were
publicized
in advance: I've seen at least one newspaper article announcing
one.)

So, Cronkhite would have registered in California because
that was
where he was when it was his time to register. All registrants
had to give their county of residence: I've seen one filled out
by a travelling salesman who happened to be on his route
when registration was held.

Elizabeth Whitaker

Aunt Lizzie's Trunk wrote:
> Listers,
>
> Please follow this link and find the WWI draft registration card for
> Minton Cronkhite. On the back side it shows the signature of C.A. Hunt,
> County Clerk, Santa Barbara County, California. Then it says Fairfield
> County, Conn. [which was his county of residence].
>
> Can anyone explain this, or tell me where he actually was when he
> registered? He apparently served in WWI (according to the 1930
> census). Could this have something to do with entering the service in
> Cal? Sort of a visa stamp? I don't know his service record, so don't
> know if he was actually in Ca. during the war.

This thread: