APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1200315591

From: "Debra Braverman" <>
Subject: [APG] Forensic genealogy - response to Dee
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:59:51 -0500

Dee,

I don't do those types of competitive cases - I can't drop everything to run
to do the research and I don't want that sort of pressure. Generally, I am
approached by an attorney after he has been retained by the heirs; sometimes
I am retained directly by heirs after they have been advised to get a
genealogist and gotten my name from an attorney. Whichever way it is, it is
understood that my research isn't limited only to them, since the court
requires full documentation. If other heirs are found, we try to get them
on board as well. If they refuse to sign, they still reap the benefit of
the research and my testimony.

In actuality though, since NYS trusts and estate law is truly arcane, much
of the work I do is for estates where there is a will. These are not
competitive, since there will be a probate. If someone is widowed or never
married, and has no children, and left their estate to charity and/or not
the closest relation, the court requires that the closest relations (down to
first cousin once removed) be located and notified about the will. In other
words, either find 'em or kill 'em off. In these instances I provide an
affidavit of due diligence and there is no testimony required. Strange I
know, but it keeps me busy.

Best,

Debra

This thread: