APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1200518447

From: Elizabeth Whitaker <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Subject: RE: Cincinnati OH Question
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:20:47 -0500

Amy Dunn wrote:
> Even though I know you solved your own problem, it is not as strange as it seems. In the
> Kentucky even though death records started in 1911 will not always guarantee you will find
> all the death records. Some of the death certificates for Kentucky were not even though the
> person died in one of Kentucky's county at the time of death. So even though you did find
> out the answer to your problem, no it is not strange because my 2nd great-grandmother does
> not have a death certificate, but she died in the late 1940's. The family did go through a
> local funeral home, so there should of been a death record.
>
> I do not know how many or what percentage of the population were not recorded in the death
> certificates. I don't know if one could even get a number unless they manually went through
> death records and matched them up with death certificates and funeral records. Although I
> think the number is only a small percent of the population although I could be wrong for a few
> of the early records. A know some people distrusted government and that could be part of it.

Area poverty was a major factor: some states, such as South
Carolina, did not require a death
certificate unless a doctor was present for the death. As
there were very few doctors, especially
in rural areas, there are few death certificates, especially
in rural areas, before the 1950s.

There is a conspicuous drop-off in the number of death
certificates issued between 1930
and about 1940: one could see this just looking at the
microfiches of the pre-1950 death
certificates. The Depression really began in the 1920s
throughout the rural South, and
things just went downhill from there until the South began
to benefit in the late 1930s from
the build-up for World War II.

Elizabeth Whitaker
now in Alexandria, VA