APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1200888860

From: Carolyn Ybarra <>
Subject: [APG] WWII Army Air Corps
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:14:20 -0800
References: <mailman.74516.1200795711.18604.apg@rootsweb.com>
In-Reply-To: <mailman.74516.1200795711.18604.apg@rootsweb.com>

Two thoughts to add on what others have said. One, it is not clear to
me that anyone has actually requested his DD214 through Vetrecs online
at the NARA website. I think it wouldn't hurt to do that, and there is
a space to put a note. (Just because it's not on Ancestry doesn't mean
NARA doesn't have it.) His spouse or child could note the
circumstances and the need for a rush. (Of course if he registered his
discharge at the county, that might be quicker to obtain.)

Secondly, you could advise the family that they could do the funeral
immediately, but have the graveside service another day in the future.
The American Legion or other groups will do a color guard for the
family at a different time. Similarly, the funeral home could help
them at a later date, in ordering the plaque that is provided for
veterans. Funeral homes will usually supply a flag for veterans for
the funeral itself, and I doubt they will require proof of service in
order to have a flag (and if they do, go out and buy a flag).


Carolyn Ybarra, Ph.D
Family Research Services
1017 El Camino Real #332
Redwood City, CA 94063

> From: Kelvin Meyers <>

> I am trying to help a family whose father served in WWII in the Army
> Air Corps. He is in hospice care not expected to live through the
> weekend. The funeral home needs proof of his service for him to have
> military honors.
> He is Robert Eldon Kindley born 1921 in Young County, Texas. He
> served in England.
> He does not appear on the military enlistment records on Ancestry, I
> am assuming because he was in the Army Air Corps.
> Does anyone have an idea about locating this record.
> Thank you,
> Kelvin L. Meyers

This thread: