APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1201019570

From: Jeanette Daniels <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Jones APGQ article
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:32:50 -0800 (PST)

Dear Everyone:

The idea of Continuing Education credits is important. When HGC planned its genetic genealogy conference, we worked with the Utah Medical Association to get CME credits for MDs and other healthcare professionals. I believe that we were able to get 6 Continuing Medical Education credits. We had to pay money and pass a rigorous investigation of our program to get this. I was very pleased that the UMA believed that genealogy and genetics were important enough to allow HGC (Heritage Genealogical College) to apply for and receive this credit. We also applied for and got credit, (I believe it was 12 Continuing Education Credits) for Educators following a similar process. The APG at this time doesn't have authority with any credit granting board or agency to give Continuing Credits. Since APG is a national organization, it would have to apply through some type of national agency or perhaps through several state agencies.

I really think that this is a good idea and I'm happy to hear that the Angelina program is doing this in regardings to continuing education credits for Educators.

Getting credit through approved local and state agencies would be a very important first step to building up the genealogical profession in the eyes of the public as well as other professionals. The big question now is what agencies would you want to apply to get the credit through and who will pay for this credit that is issued. It isn't free. This would definitely give genealogical conferences more of an appeal to educators, doctors, lawyers, etc. if they knew that they could satisfy their own professions continuing education credits and enjoy something new and different for them - meaning a better understanding of how they could use genealogists and genealogical and historical research in their own line of work.

In order to really appeal to these other groups, you must have a minimum of at least 20 credits for educators, doctors and lawyers to get them there. 20 credits per year seems to be the magic number.

Sincerely,

Jeanette