APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1201214912

From: Rebecca Rector <>
Subject: [APG] Work samples
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:48:32 -0800 (PST)

I have some questions and concerns about the idea of sending work samples to potential clients. First, I would consider most client reports to be confidential. They are created for a specific person about their family, and I would guess that many clients would not be pleased if that report was shared with another without their permission. Yes, the names, places, and other private details could be changed, but that could be a lot of work. Would it really make sense to create a "portfolio" of different work samples that cover different types of research assignments (real reports, but with many details changed etc.)? I'm not so sure. We wouldn't ask a lawyer or accountant to send us a work sample!
As with any profession, hiring someone or engaging their service requires a little research to find the person that appears to fit with our needs. Hopefully, that will involve some back and forth discussion, and sometimes a contract, before the person is hired. Often, I find that clients really like the research suggestions and approach that is e-mailed to them -- things that they had never thought of, or sources/collections they never knew existed. I believe that the discussion of what will be done, and/or the contract would deal with most potential problems. Of course, problems do occur and if someone is not satisfied they should not hesitate to discuss that with the person they hired, and also not hesitate to hire someone else (just like we do with Doctors, lawyers, accountants, plumbers, car mechanics etc...).
Rebecca

Rebecca Rector, MLS
RbInfo Research
Troy, NY