APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-01 > 1201695070

Subject: Re: [APG] Jones APGQ article
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:10 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2008 1:17:47 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

On the matter of how much researchers earn, I agree with Jay that it is not
necessary to state a specific value concerning earnings in genealogy, but
only that an individual does, or has done research for clients for pay. I don't
care if a person is earning $10 per year or $500,000 per year (and I can
name a dozen research companies in my community that make well over $100,000 per
year). The amount, for APG purposes, is not significant (except to
understand the needs of that level of professional genealogist). It wouldn't hurt
anyone to fill out a demographic survey regarding income; we do it all the
time for radio surveys, bank and mortgage loans, hospital registration, and many
more cases. APG could ask in a survey or on their application... "Do you
fit in one of the following annual genealogy income brackets: 0 to $15000 ( );
15000 to $50000 ( ); $50000 to $100,000 ( ); Over $100,000 ( ). Of course,
this information wouldn't be available to anyone except in a statistical
report. It would be interesting to see how many genealogists fit in different
catagories, and learn what the needs are for these different levels.

James,
I'm going to reiterate here my proposal that APG do a little market
research on their own membership before they make any decisions. Demographics
should be included. Our bios on the APG list do not really give a complete
picture of who we are and we want.

Rondina

Rondina P. Muncy
Lone Star Genealogy