APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203374687

Subject: Re: [APG] How Widely Used is the Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:44:47 EST

In a message dated 2/18/2008 1:05:26 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

I know that understanding the Genealogical Proof Standard is a requirement
to becoming a Certified Genealogist (CG). My question is how widely used is
it?

Do all CGs faithfully use it after certification?

Mark,
The GPS is not just a bunch of rules drawn up by the BCG. It is a way of
thinking.that should be nurtured as you mature as a genealogist. A
particularly good case study showing the use of the GPS and exhibiting the thought
process involved is "Tracking a Loner on the Move: J. W. Parberry Exposed by the
Genealogical Proof Standard," by the respected John Philip Colletta (
National Genealogical Society Quarterly 93, June 2005: 94-109). I highly recommend
this study as a good way to become comfortable with daily use of the GPS. I
doubt there has been a research study done on its use or if a study would give
reliable results, as admitting to not using the GPS might cause the
responder some embarrassment.

Rondina

Rondina P. Muncy
Lone Star Genealogy