APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203424791

From: Katherine Flynn <>
Subject: Re: [APG] How widely used is the Genealogical Proof Standard
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 04:39:51 -0800 (PST)

Dear Janice,

I fear that your brief reply here might leave readers with an erroneous view of the skills of the those certified through Genealogical Institute of the Maritimes. I am sure it was not your intention to say they never do any research that entails taking conflicting evidence and laying out conclusions based on sound research and analysis principles because at the requirements page it clearly says, in part,

"A Certified Genealogist must have a sound knowledge of genealogical, biographical and historical books and of other secondary sources, as well as being familiar with available genealogical finding aids appropriate to their research. He or she must be able to locate and use a wide variety of original or primary records and be familiar with genealogical abbreviations, terminology, and language. The applicant should be able to read old handwriting, and, in relation to his or her area of expertise, have a general knowledge of history, geography, place names, occupations, and spelling and language variations.
A Certified genealogist must also be able to analyze and evaluate genealogical facts and to reach a sound and well-balanced conclusions concerning their applicability to research problems at hand. Candidates must be capable of explaining conflicting information and of offering suggestions to resolve it. A Certified Genealogist must be prepared to be ethical, always, in dealing with clients and with archival institutions."

I believe that the above is a paraphrase of the five parts of the GPS:

a reasonably exhaustive search;
complete and accurate source citations;
analysis and correlation of the collected information;
resolution of any conflicting evidence; and
a soundly reasoned, coherently written conclusion.

Please see these requirements at:

http://nsgna.ednet.ns.ca/gim/guide.htm

While the actual term "Genealogical Proof Standard" is not there are you really saying that people who pass this certification level are incapable of performing this high analysis work??? Or that they view the analysis process of the Genealogical Proof Standard as unnecessary? To the contrary from these requirements I cannot see how one could be certified as a Certified Genealogist (Canada) without demonstrating this skill.

Most respectfully,
Kathy Flynn, CG

Janice Nickerson - Upper Canada Genealogy <> wrote:
Dear Mark,

I can say from experience hiring other professional genealogists, that
it is not widely known, at least on the east coast of Canada. The people
I hired (not just one or two, but several) had never even heard of it,
let alone practiced it. These are folks who have been taking clients for
many years and are certified by the Genealogical Institute of the
Maritimes (Canada).

Janice

Janice Nickerson
Upper Canada Genealogy