APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203425676

From: "Eric & Michelle" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] How widely used is the Genealogical Proof Standard
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:54:36 -0400

Janice

I'm not an APG member just a lurker in this list and I have learned a lot
from it.

Just letting you know that some of us on the east coast of Canada do know
what the GPS is and do use it.
I am not sure who you have hired in the past but, just last weekend, the
Southeastern Branch of the New Brunswick Genealogical Society focused on the
GPS in its February workshop. Few, if any, of us are interested in becoming
certified or for-hire genealogists but we had excellent attendance.

The GPS was presented (by a member who has served as our delegate on the
GIM) as a way of thinking when approaching a genealogical problem...a
method rather than a bunch of rules. We followed the main subject with a
presentation by one of our members who had an article published in the
Journal of the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association that focused on
proving identity without the benefit of standard sources. In the discussion
period that followed we introduced the concept of a proof summary (with
example) and directed those who wanted to learn more to the work samples on
the BCG website. We recommended they practice writing proof summaries for
some of the puzzles they have solved in their own work. Only by doing so
will they improve. This opens the door for more discussion of proof
summaries at future workshops.

As a Society it is our duty to encourage all members and potential members
to practice accepted standards as a means of producing the best work
possible. Will everybody follow suit...not likely...but there is no need to
paint all of us with the same brush.

Michelle Falkjar