APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203441506

From: "Suzanne Prosnier" <>
Subject: [APG] Fw: GPS
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:18:26 -0700

The five-step process outlined to meet the GPS is basic logic which should always be adhered to. What I find troubling is the statement in the paragraph found above that (page 1 of the Standards Manual)--
*The untimate goal for all genealogists is to assemble.......A reconstructed family history that is As CLOSE TO THE TRUTH AS POSSIBLE.* (emphasis added).

My personal goal is that any genealogy I assemble (constructed or reconstructed) must be THE TRUTH.
Suppositions, assertions, assumptions, hypotheticals, whatever, should be clearly identified as such and should be presented OUTSIDE of the truthful genealogy--- clearly marked as red flags, so to speak. I have read too many genealogies (current today) in journals identified as scholarly which are replete with words like probable, purported, perhaps. These are usually hidden within the main body of text. In my opinion these elements of a genealogy should be detailed separately, outside of the truthful genealogy, and presented as a query or challenge to other genealogists who may wish to discover the truth.

I am currently working on a family history in France [Late 1600s, early 1700s] where two men of the same given name, born within months of each other, have sons of the same given name who marry at about the same time, whose wives die in childbirth and they remarry, etc. When the priest neglects to name the mother of the child at baptism it would be quite easy for me to make an *assumption* about which of the wives was the correct mother and present that to the client, as a *probable* But I will not be satisfied with that. The process now is to obtain marriage contracts, wills, testaments, military records, various notarial records, etc. all of which require a trip to France, a letter writing campaign to the archives, or the hiring of a French professional in the area. Nothing less than total truth would be satisfactory to me. Of course, the total truth may never be found, but at least every effort has been made to discover it.
Suzanne Prosnier, CG

This thread: