APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203443284

From: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Fw: GPS
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:48:04 -0500

Suzanne,
Thank you for your thoughtful example. My thoughts run along these lines:
how do we know what is the truth? Unless you were there witnessing the
event, we have to rely on other means. I have a birth certificate naming the
parents of the child but family knowledge knows they are the grandparents.
If the family lore had died out before I heard it, all that would be left is
the official birth certificate with the truth as the family *wanted it
known.* Discovering every possible shred of evidence is the best we can do
and then all still might not be as it seems.

This also reminds me of some song lyrics "What is truth? Is truth unchanging
law? We both have truths. Are mine the same as yours?" (Now I'll have that
song stuck in my head the rest of today. <g>)

Respectfully,
Elissa

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com
Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: