APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203452259

From: "Janice Nickerson - Upper Canada Genealogy"<>
Subject: Re: [APG] How widely used is the Genealogical Proof Standard
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:17:39 -0500

Dear Katherine,

Thank you for writing. You are not the only person from the east coast
to respond to my posting with surprise. I'm glad to hear that my
experience is not totally representative!

Unfortunately, I did mean to say that several of the folks I hired are
seriously lacking in the kind of thorough research and analysis that the
GPS represents, even after repeated urging from me. One, I'm pleased to
say, merely wasn't aware of the the terminology, but did do excellent
work. I have thoroughly read through the information on the GIM site,
which is why I hired their certificants in the first place. It does seem
to require a high standard. I have no answer as to how these people got
their certification. I plan to make a formal complaint to the GIM in the
near future.

Sincerely,

Janice
(not certified, but working on it)