APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203458443

From: Tom Jones <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Fw: GPS Evidence Analysis
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:00:43 -0500

I'll leave it to others to speak for BCG, but I'm sure that you can
resolve this conflict. Your source for the one date is unclear but if
it's the abstract of the destroyed census you mention (probably with
unknown informant), it and the marriage record provide evidence of
differing qualities. Even so, if no other record throughout the man's
lifetime provides evidence suggesting his age, then you don't have any
corroboration. That may be a big "if," but it's true, then you don't
have enough evidence for a conclusion.

Whether it matters or not is another question. In some cases, knowing an
ancestor's age or birth date is crucial to identifying the person
correctly or linking the person to spouse or parents. I once had a
child-to-parent linkage hang on whether the man was born in 1841 (as his
family Bible, death certificate, gravestone, and pension application
specified) or in 1843 (as the record of a child with known parents
implied). For specifics, see the March 1996 NGSQ. ----- Tom