APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1203482057

From: Kathleen McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Fw: GPS and Shame and Schandal
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:34:17 -0800 (PST)

--- Suzanne Prosnier <> wrote:

> The five-step process outlined to meet the GPS is
> basic logic which should always be adhered to. What
> I find troubling is the statement in the paragraph
> found above that (page 1 of the Standards Manual)--
> *The untimate goal for all genealogists is to
> assemble.......A reconstructed family history that
> is As CLOSE TO THE TRUTH AS POSSIBLE.* (emphasis
> added).
>
> My personal goal is that any genealogy I assemble
> (constructed or reconstructed) must be THE TRUTH.
> Suppositions, assertions, assumptions,
> hypotheticals, whatever, should be clearly
> identified as such and should be presented OUTSIDE
> of the truthful genealogy--- clearly marked as red
> flags, so to speak.

Oh, but... Johnny Chester - Shame And Scandal
(In The Family) Lyrics (also known as "Johnny be
Fair", and sung by individuals and groups of different
cultures)

Woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family
Woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family

In Trinidad there was a family
With much confusion as you will see
It was a mama and a papa and a boy who was grown
He wanted to marry, have a wife of his own
Found a young girl that suited him nice
Went to his papa to ask his advice
His papa said: "Son, I have to say no,
This girl is your sister, but your mama don't know"

Oh, woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family
Oh, woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family

A week went by and the summer came 'round
Soon the best cook in the island he found
He went to his papa to name the day
His papa shook his head and to him did say
"You Can't marry this girl, I have to say no
This girl is your sister, but your mama don't know"

Oh, woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family
Oh, woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family

He went to his mama and covered his head
And told his mama what his papa had said
His mama she laughed, she say, "Go man, go
Your daddy ain't your daddy, but your daddy don't
know."

Oh, woe is me
Shame and scandal in the family
Oh, woe is me