APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1204211284

From: "Jack Butler" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Volunteering
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:08:04 -0500

Phil wrote:
"I would love to be able to volunteer however that's not easy when you work
full time and have a family."

Yes, it can be difficult, but I think that you will find it worth your
efforts. I volunteered one evening a week at our local Family History
Center for about 2 1/2 years. I am not LDS, but I wanted to do this for two
reasons: first, because they were so kind and helpful to me many years ago
when I was just beginning my exploration of my own family history and second
because I wanted the experience of working with clients (non-paying, to be
sure) in tackling and, hopefully, resolving their research problems.

It was an absolutely marvelous experience. On average, I worked with 3
people each week. Some didn't have a clue about genealogy and needed an
introduction to resources and basic search techniques while others were
sophisticated researchers with brick walls that they had stymied them for
years. I learned a great deal about research in areas outside my comfort
zone, about dealing with people who don't want to give up family lore in the
face of conflicting evidence, and about how to occasionally say "I am sorry,
but I can't help you." when I lacked the expertise to solve their problems.
Because I hated saying that last bit, I developed a network of referral
resources so that I could send them to people who could help them.

It may not be for everyone, but I think that my volunteer time made me a far
better professional than I might be had I not gone through the experience.

Jack Butler