APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-02 > 1204218047

From: Dee Dee King <>
Subject: Re: [APG] APG Digest, Vol 3, Issue 160
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:00:47 -0800 (PST)

Elissa Scalise Powell said:

I think Dee Dee's point was that the TG-L is acting as a mentorship email
group by definition of its purpose. This should have been thought of much
sooner as in "Duh, (hit self on forehead)."

----

Well that message was posted at 2 am; the point seemed clear then. :-) The mini-mentorship concept has been clear to me since Elizabeth's first response on that list, followed by other "seasoned" genealogists joining. The list was no longer folks with limited experience asking and answering each other's questions. As you put it, Elissa, a mini-mentorship.

Yes, Ma'am. We talk about how to implement a mentorship program, but get bogged down in the how, where, who, etc. An APG Mentorship List would be a good start. Email is our most used communication tool. Why not use it to start a mentorship party?

Elissa, your request for personal definitions of the mentor process is right on. With the exception of perhaps Craig, who is always exceptional :-), how many actual relationships start with - I want to be your mentor or will you be my mentor? Anyone sign a m/m contract lately? :-) Everyone says that the mentor - mentee relationships develop over time - but they have to have an incubator. I think TG-L is an unofficial incubator. It would not be hard to create an official incubator. My question was would an official incubator negatively effect the TG-L, or would the official incubator be slowed because TG-L is already so effective. TG-L has its own autonomy.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Dee

This thread: