APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1209647319

From: "Honey Ryan" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] What Do You Use?
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:08:39 -0400

"...besides Ancestry.com, what websites would you recommend - free or pay?"

My vote is for Ancestry's Genealogy Bank. I don't have a personal
subscription, because I've been able to have access through my library.

I hit pay dirt with my first search, finding an article in a Knoxville, TN
newspaper about my great-grandfather's tragic death in 1891. For years I had
been unable to determine his date of death and had finally narrowed it down
to within a year. I was unable to order microfilmed copies of the newspaper
through Interlibrary Loan, as they wouldn't send it out of state. So I
would scan the newspaper each time I was able to make a trip to Knoxville.
I have had several breakthroughs using Genealogy Banks' newspaper database
since then with other family members.

Honey Ryan