APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1209662471

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: [APG] WASP (was APG Digest, Vol 3, Issue 289)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:21:11 -0500

Susan wrote:
>I would like to comment on the only politically correct ethnic slur, WASP.

Being a white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant I find the term offensive. Would any
of
you call an Italian a WOP, an Irish catholic a Harp or a Jewish woman a
JAP?
Of course not! The term WASP was first used as a term by Edward Digby
_Baltzell_
(http://books.google.com/books?as_auth=Edward+Digby+Baltzell&sa=X&oi=print&c
t=title&cad=author-navigational&hl=en) and it was not used in a favorable
way. Have any of you ever heard it used in a positive way? Now you have
heard
my view and thanks for letting me vent.

Susan,

Growing up white, Anglo-Saxon, and Protestant in a community in which that
was the dominant culture (the Mississippi Delta), and having spent my life
in several of the Deep South states where that was also the dominant
culture, I have considered that acronym to be merely a short way of
describing a group that is essentially white, Anglo-Saxon, and Protestant.

Aside from African-Americans, our other significant population groups in the
Mississippi Delta have long been Italians, Chinese, and Jews. For all of
these, of course, there are ethnic slurs that polite people did/do not
use---in private, as well as "polite company." But, in our region, the
"ethnic slur" for our cultural group was (and is) "redneck" -- which
certainly is used by the public and the media far more widely than "WASP."

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG member, Tennessee

This thread: