APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210006790

From: Debbie Parker Wayne <>
Subject: Re: [APG] MS DOCX conversion (was: Office 2008)
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:59:50 -0500

Melinda Lockwood wrote on 5/5/2008 11:03 AM:
> For those of you who are using Microsoft Office 2007 (on either platform)
> you need to be aware that all of your Word, documents will save with a .docx
> suffix.
> Anyone to whom you send these files will not be able to open them unless
> they are (1) also running Microsoft Office 2007 or (2) have downloaded the
> converter.

If someone sends you a DOCX file and you do not have MS Office 2007 or 2008
or a converter you can read the file using the instructions below. I tested
this on Windows XP. I tried this on a short document. I would not want to
do this on a document of many pages as there is a lot of code surrounding
each paragraph of text. But in a pinch ...

On a Windows system:

1. Copy the docx file to another folder on your system.
2. Change the docx extension to zip.
3. Double-click the zip file and extract the files.
4. Look for the file named "document.xml" (on my test case it was in the
sub-folder named "word" under the folder I extracted into.
5. Use the "file > open" menu of the program you wish to view the file with.
6. When viewing the document.xml file you have to ignore all of the XML
code. Firefox displays the codes in blue, purple and bold black. The actual
document text was in normal black so was fairly easy to find.

My instructions above are based on this BLOG posting:

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/255789302/read-word-2007-files-in-internet-explorer-no-word-required

If you ever find yourself needing to review the contents of a Microsoft
Word 2007 document (DOCX) but you're sitting at a computer without a Word
installation or any other comparable word processor, weblog Digital
Inspiration details how to read the document with nothing but Internet
Explorer. In a nutshell, the method involves changing the doc's file
extension to ZIP, unzipping it, and then finding a document.xml file inside
the unzipped archive. From there, you can open that XML file in IE (or
virtually any text editor, for that matter). As the post mentions, your
document will lack any formatting, but it will allow you to read the
content, which is essentially what matters anyway.

--
Regards, Debbie

Debbie Parker Wayne
Webmaster and Chapter Representative,