APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210184557

From: "Stephen Yautz / SMY Historical Services" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Catholic Records
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 14:22:37 -0400

Hello Fellow Listers,

While I would be disappointed that the Catholic Church would close future
records to digitization and microfilming by the LDS Church, I can understand
the Vatican's extreme discomfort in releasing any future records when the
LDS church is utilizing them for proxy baptisms.

Baptism in the Catholic Church means, according to its doctrine, that people
are "freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; become members of Christ, are
incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission." (Catechism of
the Catholic Church, 1st ed., no. 1214, p. 342. Doubleday, 1995). This mark
of initiation into the faith, also "seals the Christian with the indelible
spiritual mark (character) of his belonging to Christ...Given for once for
all, Baptism cannot be repeated." (Cathecism, no. 1272, p. 356).

Since Catholic baptism cannot be "revoked," or rescinded by baptism in
another church, the Catholic Church then does not view the LDS practice of
proxy baptism of deceased individuals as negating the Catholic baptisms, but
rather as a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to negate the baptism originally given in the
Catholic Church (which I personally do not think is necessarily always the
case). The practice of baptism by proxy, therefore, can be seen as
disrespectful to the beliefs held by the Catholic Church. And if the LDS
cannot be entrusted to refrain from proxy baptisms of deceased Catholics
derived from LDS church's records preservation effort, the Catholic Church
has every right to release no future records to them. I know we genealogists
lose easier access to the church records via the FHC and FHL, but, in my
experience, the individual parishes and dioceses have always made efforts to
accommodate my genealogical requests.

We need to remain mindful that the Catholic church's records are that of a
private entity, and as such, are not obligated to release their records
except for their own purposes, and at their discretion.