APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210187693

From: "Jack Butler" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Catholic Records
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:14:53 -0400

In the end, it always seems to come down - on all sides - to "We are right
and you are wrong and god (or the gods) loves us best. Nyah, Nyah, Nyah." I
do not belong to any of the religions mentioned in this thread, and frankly
tend to view them all somewhat skeptically. Still and all, I have to admit
that everyone has the right to be just as silly as they want to be, whether
it takes the form of believing in post-mortem baptism or in believing that
others having such beliefs is insulting. And I am immensely grateful that
these kinds of theologial disagreements now result in one side taking their
ball and going home rather than leading to trials of faith, auto-de-fe,
stakes, fires, and burning flesh, etc.

And while I consider it a little strange, I am also quite grateful for the
particular quirk in LDS beliefs that encourages them to gather and make
public so much genealogical resource material and sincerely hope that they
continue their efforts in that particular arena. And I do regret loss of
potentially easy access to an important research resource.

Just my totally secular two cents worth.

Jack Butler