APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210284985

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Questions About the IGI
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 18:16:25 -0400

"Connie Sheets" <>

> The discussion so far seems to assume that anyone
> listed in the IGI has been baptized by the LDS.

Connie:

I was told this by a Family History Library executive at a meeting at which
various records were being discussed. In direct response to my question, I
was told that the International Genealogical Index was the _official index_
of the names of those on whose names temple ordinances had been performed.

Subsequent to that, sometime in the '90s the number of names took a decided
drop. At that time I was told that it was because of a change in policy.
Previously, names were added to the IGI when the process was begun.
Henceforth, they would be added only AFTER the process was completed.
Apparently there were name in the IGI for which the ordinance process had
not been completed.

That exhausts what I _think_ I know about your question.

Richard

This thread: