APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210341361

From: "crscott" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Presentation report
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:56:01 -0400

> sit in the back (unless it is Craig who has nerves of steel)

Nerves of steel? Ah, the calm confident exterior of the quaking kid on the
inside. If I am the Craig to which you refer (and I believe with "certainty"
that I am) then you know my perscription. Always start early with questions
to put the audience in the mood and give me time to adjust to them. Usually
it takes me seven or eight minutes to get comfortable on the inside (more
than 10% of the time availalble) so I move that time to the pre-lecture
period so that I am full bore when the lecture actually starts. I do so
greatly appreicate the socieites and organizations that provide me that
opportunity to find my comfort level and then start a lecuture rather than
start and then hope I get my comfort level.

Having an Elizabeth, a Helen, a Tom, a Roger or any number of other people
who you respect in your audience for the first through the twentieth times
is "certainly" a challange. Your stomach does flip flops and you wonder, and
I quote "What the hell is she (or he) doing here? Damn!!!!" But after a
while, honestly, it does not bother you anymore. Its not that they have
changed, but you have. It isn't nerves of steel so much as a compliment.
They are either there to learn from you (yeah, right) or they want to see
your speaking style to see if you might be the next member of their faculty
at Samford (hope for that!!!). Teaching at Samford has helped me the most to
overcome my Elizabeth jitters.

Now if anybody gets jitters cause I am in the back of the room, that is just
foolish.

C.

Craig R. Scott, CG

This thread: