APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1210715518

From: Chad Milliner <>
Subject: Re: [APG] 1st genealogy pub in America
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:51:58 -0600

Headline of a recent Seattle newspaper article: "In a German pub, genealogy takes living, breathing form." http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2004388219_travessay04.html
Randy Seaver's blog provided the link.

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:] On Behalf Of Kate Foote
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 6:00 PM
To: 'Rhonda';

Rhonda,

What fun to have gone "cruising" with Virginia! Wish I had known her.
Living in a very small town in Iowa I am always obliged to "act my age" - have to keep up appearances you know, grandchildren and all... But turn me loose at a good genealogy conference - or catch me in an obscure cemetery where I've just located gg-aunt Matilda, and I can do a really swingin'
Happy Dance!" <g> I shall toast you, also.

Kate

Of
> Rhonda
> Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 5:53 PM
> Subject: [APG] R!e: 1st genealogy pub in America
>
> Saying from my late friend and mentor, Virginia Gaulden Bond:
>
> " Old isn't until you are at least 85, and then some 85 year olds
> don't
act their age!"

> This is so true! A few years back she was caught speeding on I-40
> going
towar Memphis,
> TN doing 90 mpg.
>
> Another time she was in AZ and caught on a stretch of highway and go
ticket. A week
> later she was caught again, but this time the cop came up to her and
> said,
"Hello Virginia!"

> Virginia died on January 8, 2008 at the age of 93. I'd certainly
> drink
to her and her age!

> Oh, I won't be there either, but I will drink to you...somewhere....
>
> Kate Foote <> wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Since I shall not be able to enjoy your company in Kansas City I would
> respectfully request that at some point, on one gentle evening, as you
enjoy
> your libations in the newly dubbed Genealogy Pub - that a spot be
> chosen
in
> a discreet corner and considered "Reserved for Kate." Then, with your
> well honed and professional imaginations you can collectively gaze at
> that
place,
> envision a dignified, scholarly and sweet little old lady, her silver
> hair neatly coifed in a bun atop her head, and delicately sipping a
> double martini with a beer chaser. Collectively, then, raise your
> glasses and
your
> voices and proclaim, "To Kate! She is with us in spirit!"
>
> Blessing all,
> Kate
>

> .

> 5/9/2008