APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1211409300

From: Jackie King <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Iowa Marriage Records
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:41:43 -0500

Richard -

One thing I do is contact the Iowa State Health Department as a last
resort. I almost always go through the county recorder's office for the
county in which I am interested. There are several Iowa counties that do
not have early records, but most do and typically you will get precisely
what you want at the local level. They may be a bit slower at times, but
typically the information is much better.

I can't remember precisely when it was that the Iowa Department of
Health assumed the state wide authority for records (I need to check
that) but most county recorders have kept their own copies. There are a
couple of counties of which I am aware that the records are now housed
with either the county historical society or the county genealogy
society. I have been told, although I've not run into it personally that
there are a couple of Iowa counties which no longer have any copies of
the records that were copied to the state.

If we knew what county you are interested in we might be able to help
you a bit more. I also have to tell you that in some counties, the cost
for non-legal copies is very reasonable.

Jackie King,
Boone Co., IA