APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1211483475

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: [APG] Iowa Vital Records Research - Folow-Up
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:11:15 -0400

To summarize the many suggestions I received regarding my rebuff by the Iowa
Department of Health when I tried to order a marriage record: "Go local."

Following that advice, I today called the Adair County Recorder who
immediately suggested I talk with "one of our genealogists." She gave me the
number and I have made arrangements to get the record.

It appears from experience and what others wrote to me that when you order
by mail all you can get is a certified copy of the event and you can only
get this if you are "related" (close family or descendant). Further, what
you get in a certified copy may not - probably will not - contain the real
meat - for example, in a marriage record, the names of the parents, ages,
number of marriages, etc.

Apparently you can get an informational copy if you go to the court house in
person.

The really good news is that if you "go local" the price is right. A couple
of weeks ago I was charged $10 for getting the record plus the $5 the county
charged for the copy. This week I will be paying $5 for getting the record,
plus the cost of the copy and postage.

Thanks to all who wrote on this.

Richard P.
Fairfax, Virginia