APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1211494275

From: "Mark Fearer" <>
Subject: [APG] Organization for genealogy instructors?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:11:15 -0600

Howdy folks,
Going to the NGS conference (which was a great and almost overwhelming
experience) has really set me back in getting to my email, so forgive me
if this has already been addressed here.

On the last day of the conference, I was talking with several folks at
the APG booth, asking if anyone knew of an existing organization for
genealogy instructors, as we have with speakers and writers. No one I
talked to knew of one. If any of you know of one, please let me know.

Anticipating for the moment that the answer is negative, I want to see
if there is enough interest is starting one. Everyone at the APG booth
sounded interested (and I think most taught genealogy). As a (relatively
new) instructor myself, I thought it might be useful to share
experiences in teaching methods, content, marketing, teaching at
different levels, etc.

Anticipating the upcoming American version of Who Do You Think You Are,
I'm hoping there will be a dramatic increase in interest amongst the
general public, resulting in higher demand for genealogy classes,
professional genealogy services, speakers, need for genealogy societies,
etc.

Although I have little time for another project in my life (who of us
do?), I'm willing to get this off the ground if there is enough interest
and one or two brave souls willing to help out. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark Fearer
Boulder, CO
www.ancestraldiscovery.com