APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-05 > 1212081375

From: "Kate Foote" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] African American Revolutionary War Soldier honored
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:16:15 -0500

Marian,

This is a lovely article. I have lived in many of our wonderful United
States, and all are beautiful, but there is something about being in a small
Iowa town on Memorial Day that touches my heart like no other. The spirit
of patriotism and community erases the years of pessimism and take me back
to the to the time in my youth when being an American was a thing of great
pride. As a genealogist who is able to trace her ancestry to the Mayflower
and with the knowledge that each armed struggle of our country included a
member of my family I am continually humbled when I go to our little
cemetery, bedecked with hundreds of flags both gravesite and full standard.
I delight in immersing my grandchildren in every tradition and instruct them
they must remember - and carry on.

This year our celebration was subdued. Many from our town, our volunteer
firefighters, police, and EMT's, were gone to Parkersburg. In the article
it mentions that our Governor had sent a stand in - he too was in
Parkersburg. Those of us who were not needed stood under those flags - and
prayed.

Kate

Of