APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-06 > 1213632729

From: "Anne Roach" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Describing Degrees of Confidence
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:12:09 -0600

Given that this is an opinion survey, I wouldn't discount this effort to obtain statistical information so quickly. The words listed in the survey are subjective, so Donn is attempting to extract public opinion on these subjective words from the genealogical community. I commend his research efforts. His disclaimer is fair, by stating the limitations. Every survey has both obvious and unforeseen limitations.

wrote:
> Caution: The statistical limitations of this survey are recognized. The
> sample will be self-selected rather than random, little consideration has been
> given to the order in which the items are presented or its possible effect, and
> there has been no pre-testing or other validation.

No reliability, no validity. In other words, there is no scientific,
hence no substantive, merit to this survey. So why bother?

Kathy
Kathleen Lenerz, Ph.D.

.