APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215051696

From: Connie Sheets <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry search pages
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

While I'm not thrilled about having the My Tree stuff at the top of the page,
I'm having a hard time figuring out what is so different about the global
search function? It still yields goofy results. Why I'm being shown the 1880
Texas census, for example, when I have specified an exact search for someone
born in Pennsylvania in 1809 and died in Iowa in 1869 is beyond me. That,
however, isn't a new flaw.

I've rarely used the global search anyway, except when I'm really desperate or
working with a very unusual surname.

I actually think "My Quick Links" on the top right hand side of the homepage is
an improvement. You can access a specific census search in 2 clicks from
there. I've added a link for the Card Catalog, and for a keyword search in the
card catalog for Virginia. (We'll see if the latter eventually brings up the
recent Virginia additions...I've never understood why new additions don't show
up immediately in the Card Catalog, but that also isn't a new flaw). You
should be able to add links for the specific census or other collections you
use most frequently, though I have no clue how many links can be added.

To find the Iowa State Census collection, I went to Card Catalog, entered Iowa
in the title field, and selected Census as type of record. I assume other
collections can also be found that way.

The biggest weakness at Ancestry, IMHO, (besides the poor indexing we always
complain about) is failure to recognize that good research is done by locality,
not name.

But I will continue to pay my subscription until there is a better game in
town.

I'm also interested in hearing how others are "working around" the weaknesses,
and where the map that narrows records by state is now hiding (if it still
exists).

Connie Sheets
Flagstaff, AZ

This thread: