APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215090346

Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry search pages
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:05:46 EDT

Richard-

I think (although obviously I can't speak for the company) that TGN/Ancestry
wishes to break out of the "niche" market that is "Genealogy Only" to have a
broader "family" and "social networking" appeal. Everyone is interested in
FAMILY and SOCIALIZING but not everyone is a serious genealogist. This is the
way the company can obtain the financing it needs to continue to grow and
provide more services for everyone--including US.

Personally I think anything (within reason) that keeps the boat afloat so
that services can be provided to help us is a good thing.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think I have any special "pull" in getting
things accomplished other than that I have been known to nag the programmer in
IRC. On occasion he might even listen. <g>

Joan

In a message dated 7/3/2008 3:04:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,