APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215414235

From: Neal Underwood <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Ancestry problem
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 02:03:55 -0500

Ancestry has shown little to no inclination to correct notorious and
pervasive data problems despite continued complaints whether submitted
directly or posted to the large lists. Consider what the Ancestry indexes
show as the number of individuals born in "India":

1850 - 16
1860 - 9,023
1870 - 27,984 (9,603 in the state of Indiana; 7,303 in Iowa)
1880 - 1,291 (indexed by LDS volunteers)
1900 - 17,953
1910 - 13,284
1920 - 20,283
1930 - 5,291

This is just one example of a significant, unresolved problem. In this
particular situation, various instances of "Ind." and "Ia." were indexed as
"India", not Indiana or Iowa. Or check the 1870 census for the number of
people born in "O".

>Message: 10
>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:04:57 -0400
>From: "Pam Brinegar" <>
>Subject: [APG] Ancestry problem
>To: <>
>
>Ancestry is such an important tool and I gratefully use it almost every day.
>Over the years, I have written them several times about an error and have
>yet to receive a response, possibly because it seems an unlikely scenario.
>Perhaps an Ancestry staffer is monitoring this list since there's been a
>recent significant site change, so I'll post my concern here in case
>something comes of it.
<snip>

This thread: