APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215666574

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Professional genealogy as a career
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:09:34 -0500

>There are a few places to get pro training and I think they are all listed
on these two websites. One of the best and least expensive and great
because you can do it at home on your own time is the American Genealogy
home study course through the National Genealogy Society
(www.ngsgenealogy.org), another organization well worth joining.

I totally agree that the NGS home study course is superb. However, NGS bills
it (appropriately) as an introductory course, not a professional course. As
an introductory course, it provides a solid grounding in many essential
aspects of genealogical research and is valuable even for individuals who
have been "doing genealogy" on their own for some years. There is, arguably,
no better way to ensure that we fill those "holes" that naturally exist when
we self-direct our learning.

For professional training in the field, I would suggest any of the
upper-level courses at the Samford University Institute of Genealogy and
Historical Research (now in its 44th year, offering 10 or 11 tracks each
year). Particularly appropriate would be the Professional track that began
in 1987 under the direction of Helen F. M. Leary, CG, CGL, FASG, and
continued nearly two decades under her tutelage. It is taught in two parts,
which rotate annually. The Professional Practices program is now headed by
Elissa Scalise Powell, CG, a frequent contributor to this list and mentor to
many on the Transitional Genealogists list-serve. The Professional Writing
program is led by Dr. Thomas W. Jones, CG, CGL, FASG, editor of the _NGS
Quarterly_. More details about the program are available at the IGHR website
http://www.samford.edu/schools/ighr/IGHR_courses.html.

Good luck, Micki!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG