APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215696182

From: "Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Professional genealogy as a career
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

Micki, you might consider joining the Transitional Genealogists Forum (TGF), where folks from beginners to those with a couple years experience to working professionals chat informally about providing fee-based services. The forum also serves as a vehicle for informal mentoring.

<<Subscribing. Clicking on one of the shortcut links below should work, but if your browser doesn't understand them, try these manual instructions: to join TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-L, send mail to with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body. To join TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-D, do the same thing with .
Subscribe to TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-L
Subscribe to TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-D (digest) >>

All these wonderful responses to your questions will inevitably lead to a bit of information overload. :-) We *all* went through it. My guess is that the most successful recognized the wisdom in starting with the "introductory" courses such as NGS, then mapped out a plan for successively more advanced courses over a period of several years.

I think all of us would agree that becoming a truly professional genealogist is a process that takes awhile and requires continuing education. A recent topic on TGF dealt with how long it might take to develop a profitable business, another topic dealt with how we schedule business hours and meet the needs of clients while maintaining a real life. :-)

Obtaining "Pro Gen" was probably the biggest eye opener for most of us. There is much, much more to meeting the standards of professional genealogy than most of us ever considered until we bought that book.

best regards and welcome,

Dee

--
Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist
www.ForensicGenealogyServices.com

CG - Certified Genealogist is the service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists®, used under license by professionals who pass periodic
competency evaluations by the Board.

This thread: