APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215806061

From: Michele Boyer <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Professional genealogy as a career
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:54:21 -0600

Thank you Dee, I just subscribed and now will have more incoming
digest mail than I have time to read, or brain cells to absorb. But, I
do appreciate all the help as it's easier to store it and review it as
I have time, than to try to remember so much information and try to
find it later.

Thanks,
Micki

> Micki, you might consider joining the Transitional Genealogists
> Forum (TGF), where folks from beginners to those with a couple years
> experience to working professionals chat informally about providing
> fee-based services. The forum also serves as a vehicle for informal
> mentoring.
>

> <<Subscribing. Clicking on one of the shortcut links below should
> work, but if your browser doesn't understand them, try these manual
> instructions: to join TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-L, send mail
> to with the
> single word subscribe in the message subject and body. To join
> TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-D, do the same thing with
> .
> Subscribe to TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-L
> Subscribe to TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM-D (digest) >>
>

> All these wonderful responses to your questions will inevitably lead
> to a bit of information overload. :-) We *all* went through it.
> My guess is that the most successful recognized the wisdom in
> starting with the "introductory" courses such as NGS, then mapped
> out a plan for successively more advanced courses over a period of
> several years.
>
> I think all of us would agree that becoming a truly professional
> genealogist is a process that takes awhile and requires continuing
> education. A recent topic on TGF dealt with how long it might take
> to develop a profitable business, another topic dealt with how we
> schedule business hours and meet the needs of clients while
> maintaining a real life. :-)
>
> Obtaining "Pro Gen" was probably the biggest eye opener for most of
> us. There is much, much more to meeting the standards of
> professional genealogy than most of us ever considered until we
> bought that book.
>
> best regards and welcome,
>
> Dee

This thread: