APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215810437

From: "Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] ethics question
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

Jo - I'd probably thank the "contact" for the past work and move on. Kelvin expressed it perfectly.

The professional genealogy pond is a small one. One association of your name to a bad case or to a contact with those "ethics" and it could be hard to recover.

Unfortunately, we haven't been very progressive in defining terms, setting standards or best practices, or positively promoting the specialty. External forces set the pace and we lag behind the curve. Some "heir searchers" I've run across were repo guys.... Because of seriously botched probate work in some Texas courts, we're starting to hear a few judges are requiring submissions by certified genealogists. One so-called "professional genealogist" could not pass the Daubert test as an expert witness and the entire case was thrown out. Education of the legal community should be a major objective.

best regards,
Dee

--
Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist
www.ForensicGenealogyServices.com

CG - Certified Genealogist is the service mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists®, used under license by professionals who pass periodic
competency evaluations by the Board.

<<<<<<