APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1215907327

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Professional genealogy as a career
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:02:07 -0500

>I just know I'll go back and re do all of my source notations once I
see how it's done correctly. That'll take a while, . . .

It sure WILL take a while! I have to confess: I have work from my first few
years in genealogy that I still haven't had time to do-over right.

This, of course, is one reason why we all now encourage new genealogists to
"do it right from the start" and why we beg software companies to build good
capability into the programs they market to new genealogists, so those
coming into the field can identify their sources adequately from the start.

We've all "been there and done that" where half-baked source-identification
is concerned -- and half-baked sources, too :). The latter problem, alas,
is one we typically discover once we begin to cite sources thoroughly. The
point of good citations is not just to follow some nitpicking pattern. The
point is to capture all the information we need about the source to evaluate
the quality of the information we take from it. When we go back to our early
materials and start "filling in the holes" on those citations, that's when
we discover how many holes there are in the quality of the sources
themselves.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
APG Member, Hendersonville, TN