APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1216488747

From: "Betty Malesky" <>
Subject: [APG] Fw: Keeping Local Societies Healthy
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:32:27 -0700

Kirsten,

Local societies must get off the mark and find out what their members want.
We can't sit back any more and wait for members to walk through the door.

Our local society is stronger than ever because we have aggressively
marketed our presence in the community and continually poll members to find
out what we're doing right and how we can do better.

Among the changes we've made to increase and keep members:
Added a short subject by a member to our monthly meetings in addition to
the featured speaker.
Newsletter focuses on news and methods of doing genealogy today,
solicits and features a member's
success story each month.
Rent a booth in the annual Community Country Fair where we can talk to
members of the community.
Maintain a Web presence.
Offer classes free to the community for both beginners and experienced
researchers.
Sponsor a Genealogy Fair and advertise it to the community every year or
so.
Present an annual all-day seminar with a nationally-known speaker.
And I write a semi-monthly genealogy column for our local newspaper.

Notice member involvement is a feature of most of the above ideas. Our
membership is double what it was five years ago. Our biggest problem is
finding a reliable space that can accommodate from 125 to 130 persons
comfortably and finding an affordable space for our library (nearly
hopeless).

Unfortunately NYGBS chose the almighty dollar over giving members what they
wanted.

Betty

Betty Lou Malesky, CG
Newsletter Editor and Past President
Green Valley Genealogical Society
Green Valley, AZ

CG and Certified Genealogist are the service marks of the Board for
Certification of Genealogists registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office
and used under license by board certified genealogists after periodic
evaluation.