APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1216492528

From: "Kirsten Bowman" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Fw: Keeping Local Societies Healthy
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:35:28 -0700

Betty:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It seems to me there are two major
functions that local societies can perform effectively. First, of course,
would be promoting an interest in genealogy in the community and providing
training. Second is advertising local holdings on the Internet and offering
transcriptions or lookups (for sale). My own society has a nice collection
of local history, but most residents here don't have roots in the area.
Descendants who would be interested in these records are scattered all over
the country (if not the world). Few of them are likely to travel to our
little valley to see if their 3rd great-grandparents are buried in the local
cemetery or listed on the local land maps; they want to find leads to the
data on the Internet.

With the growing interest in family history, and the increasing number of
retirees--who are more prone to the genealogy obsession--it seems that local
societies *should* be growing too. But perhaps the convenience of working
on your family history at home on your own schedule is making societies
somewhat obsolete. Or maybe the Internet *is* the new society.

Kirsten