APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1216654848

From: "Rondina Muncy" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Norwegian naming patterns
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:40:48 -0500

Helen,

There were definite naming patterns in Norway that continued, as far as I
can discern, until around 1900. (At least in Hedmark.) By your definition,
I'm jinxed. <g>

Rondina, who was named after her maternal grandmother following the 'ewgin
tradition

--
________________________
Rondina P. Muncy

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Helen S. Ullmann <>
wrote:

> Like Kirsten, I tend to be very sceptical about naming patterns.
> Elizabeth's analysis is very helpful. I too would like to see some
> statistical analysis.
>
> But as for Norwegians, I've failed to see any consistent pattern of
> naming after grandparents. I believe there was a custom (superstition?)
> that it was not appropriate to repeat the name of a living person. Since
> grandparents would often be living when first, second, third, fourth
> children were born, their names might not occur until later children
> were born. I've just looked through a bunch of my old norsk family group
> sheets and just don't see any pattern at all. The grandparents' names
> often do occur, but they are not often given to first children.
>
> Helen Ullmann
>

> .

This thread: