APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1216736579

From: "Richard A. Pence" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] 1920 census going online - free - entire 1790-19APGDigest,Vol 3, Issue 485
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:22:59 -0400

Judi Langer-Surnamer Caplan <> wrote:

> In all this re-indexing of the 1920 Census, I would hope someone at LDS
> would pay attention to the NARA Soundex Index Cards for the 1920 Census
> hich frequently have the correct transcription of the spelling of a
> surname
> ecause, as I understand it, they were working from the originals, whereas
> he Ancestry Index may be "off" as they were working from the microfilm.

There's something I sure could vote for! Years ago I hand scribbled all the
PENCEs from the soundexes. Occasionally I find that I can't make out what I
wrote or I left off something, so I'll go on line to double-check. It is
astonishing the number of entries in the soundex that you can't find at all
on the on-line index.

Not only were the soundexers working from the originals, they procedures for
checking and problem-solving were much more elaborate. Beside which, the
talent pool for indexers was much greater during the Depression years.

I've always been puzzled as to why more use hasn't been made of the soundex
films in the present-day indexing.

Richard P.
Fairfax, Virginia

This thread: