APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1217336697

From: <>
Subject: Re: [APG] APG Digest, Vol 3, Issue 499
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:04:57 -0400

I got started in 1960 (sounds much better than saying 48 years ago!), when I was in college, clipping news of my cousins and occasionally of my ancestors (in the "Way Back When" column), of my hometown newspaper. And my grandmother would mention family stories in her letters. Then, while I was still in college, my aunt, stationed in France with the Air Force, visited the village in Germany from which our ancestors had come, in 1845. That got me interested in migration patterns, as well as family history. My aunt wrote that the village looked just like the area where our ancestors settled, and where I was born, in southeast Missouri - flat farmland. The biggest difference was that the homes in Germany were of red brick, the homes in Missouri were of wood. I later learned that all the German families that settled in my home area were from within about a 12-mile area in Germany! I can just imagine the first immigrant, in the early 1840s, writing home and saying, "Pretty neat pl!
ace - come on over!"

Betty Rolwing [not Rowling!] Darnell
now in KY
Member APG