APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-07 > 1217448991

From: "Gail Nestor" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Publishing Sources on a Web Site
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:16:31 -0400

Ha, Ha Patti! *You're* the one with the website programming
expertise! I'm just the pit bull who won't let go until I've
completely exhausted the issue. :-)

I wrote a note to Darrin Lythgoe of TNG this afternoon. It seems like
we are stuck with the existing gedcom standards and Legacy can't
really do any more at this point. It's going to take some back-end
maneuvering in TNG to get our citations all prettied up.

If any of you use TNG for web site publishing, please read my note on
the TNG list and add your own plea for Darrin to work his magic and
provide this capability for us. It would really help for him to hear
from the professional community. It seems it would be a one-of-a-kind
product: dynamic web pages AND EE-based source citations! I tried to
look at the code, but this is definitely beyond my skill level.

I'm still hopin' and wishin'....

Gail Rich Nestor
Smyrna, Georgia
www.roots2buds.net

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Patti Hobbs <> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I'm also someone in the same boat as Gail.
> I use Legacy with the new Sourcewriter and also TNG. I haven't much
> time to play with the new Sourcewriter yet, but haven't been happy
> with the results on my website. I'm hoping that Gail will get this all
> figured out pretty soon.:-)
>
> Patti
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Gail Nestor wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark, I agree with you about the gedcom standard being way behind
>> (and it's doubtful if we'll see any changes any time soon). I did
>> like the web site you sent very much. Legacy can also produce its own
>> web pages and they will retain the EE formatting like the one you
>> showed. The one big drawback for me is that the web pages are not
>> dynamic like those of TNG. I love being able to click on any source
>> and seeing a list of those who share that source. I love being able
>> to then jump to a person on that list. TNG really does a great job
>> with their web site package.
>>
>> I think that my best bet is to convince Darrin Lythgoe, the producer
>> of TNG, or one of the many other talented TNG users to help me write
>> some code for this. It will need to take the gedcom data from Legacy
>> and reconfigure the puzzle pieces of the master source and the
>> citation details so they get back in the correct order and format for
>> web publishing. I do think accomplishing this would be very helpful
>> for many genealogists!
>>
>> Many people want to create their sources in style of Evidence
>> Explained. Many others want to display their genealogy data on the
>> web. Still others have the technical knowhow to make a web site
>> display any way they want. Unfortunately, the intersection of these
>> three groups seems very, very small.
>>
>> Gail Rich Nestor
>> Smyrna, Georgia
>> www.roots2buds.net
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:59 PM,
>> <> wrote:
>>>
>>> Gail,
>>>
>>> Here is the current state of affairs.
>>>
>>> 1996 - most recent GEDCOM version 5.5 was released
>>> 1997 - "Evidence!" published
>>> 2007 - "Evidence Explained" published
>>> 2008 - Legacy 7 released (the only software currently released that
>>> follows EE)
>>>
>>> The main problem is that GEDCOM doesn't support EE and software
>>> developers are slow to adopt it.
>>>
>>> A good example of a web site that uses EE and cites sources in
>>> Stephen Danko's research blog: http://www.stephendanko.com/
>>>
>>> Hopefully we will soon see the day when 1) GEDCOM is updated or
>>> replaced, 2) a single source citation format is supported by all
>>> genealogy software, and 3) every genealogy web site and online
>>> database provider follows that citation model.
>>>
>>> Mark Tucker
>>> www.ThinkGenealogy.com

>>> Hi APG List,
>>>
>>> I would love to receive some advice from anyone on this list who fits
>>> following description:
>>>
>>> 1) You use some form of computer-based genealogy software
>>> 2) You publish some/all of your genealogy on your own web site