APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-08 > 1219686830

From: Anne Roach <>
Subject: [APG] ?Fundamental Genealogical Principles?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:53:50 -0600

Hello fellow professionals,

I have two questions for you. I was recently asked what the most fundamental principles that identify sound genealogical research. Since many minds are better than one, and rather than limit myself to my own perspective, I request from you, my peers, your perspective on this question. What are the key principles that identify sound genealogical research?

The second question is a bit difficult to answer, because when we think of genealogy software, we think of what it will DO, not how it is built. I am not asking about what a piece of software should DO. So applying the concept of sound genealogy research principles to software, what do you feel should be the primary considerations for preparing the foundations of genealogical (pedigree display) software? In other words, what is the framework on which someone should build a tool in which to store genealogical data?

I look forward to your responses!
Anne Roach