APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-08 > 1220208773

From: Michelle LeClair <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Scanning Letters
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:52:53 -0400

Hi Beth,
I¹m new here at APG but this is one area I can help you with. As someone
else stated jpg files are smaller files but you will lose image data in this
method. Another thing I want to clarify is when you say bitmap, are you
saying a .bmp file format - as opposed to a bitmap color file? These are two
different things. While .bmp files are popular in the pc world, mac
computers don¹t use them much ‹ it¹s a Window¹s thing. There is a bitmap
color setting (which is only black and white) when you scan and that is
something different. I wanted to clarify which bitmap you were talking
about. The pc/mac thing may not make a difference to you, but I wanted you
to know that there are differences.

When designers get professional ³hi-res² scans this is traditionally the
method.
* Keep the file in RGB color mode (your scanner may say thousands of colors
or something to that effect)
* never scan the photo/image less than 100% or go larger than 300% - even
200% really, you¹re better to up the dpi (see next bullet)
* keep the resolution (dots per inch or dpi) at least 300. You really only
need 200 for a good print off most desktop printers but since you¹re
probably never going to see these items again, and if at anytime in the
future you want to print them bigger or in a book, you¹ll need that 300 dpi
resolution
* Save in a .tif file if possible. A .bmp file is also fine as it is
uncompressed ­ just make sure you¹re not in the bitmap color format. The
.tif or .bmp files will be significantly larger files then you¹re probably
used to. Burn them to cd¹s for back up or on an extra hard drive if you¹re
worried about space.

Your last part about the plastic sheet protectors: it depends on your
scanner. Some scanners may pick up a glare and other¹s won¹t ­ as other¹s
have stated you probably want to experiment a little.

Another note, clean the glass on your scanner well and make sure it is dry
before scanning. You don¹t want some random hair or dust spot on these great
documents.

If there¹s anything else I can help you with please let me know.
Michelle

Michelle LeClair
President
Creative Director
My Graphics Co., Inc.
PO Box 127
Chatham, NY 12037
518.392.5288
c. 518.610.0826
mygraphicsco.com

View t-shirt designs at MyGraphicTees.com!