APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-08 > 1220219830

From: "Heather McLeland-Wieser" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Scanning Letters
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:57:10 -0700

She could also take a b/w photo and have it professionally printed. An oldie but goodie.
Heather McLeland-Wieser, C.G.

>>> Ray Beere Johnson II <> 8/31/2008 1:31 PM >>>

> May I suggest a time honored format of paper?
> Fine to save them as a scan them but you might also save
> them in a paper format, which can be read by eyes years from now,
> just as you are doing in reading the originals.

In theory, it is a great idea. In practice, any of the _common_ reproduction methods we use today will not last half as long as those originals have. In order to make a photocopy which will last, you have to keep a machine maintained to almost impossible standards (for an ordinary user - I'm aware archives do use such techniques). As for printing them out, the printer technologies that claimed the greatest longevity have been discredited; I believe the best estimate now is that _good_ inkjet output may last forty years or so _if taken good care of_. Excessive exposure to light or damp would shorten that time; storage in a vault under controlled conditions might permit the claimed eighty years or so.
What _would_ be a good idea, if Beth can afford it, is to send a copy of those scans to a service which can turn them into microfilm. Then, if the film is stored in a safe place, it can be copied whenever needed.
Ray Beere Johnson II