APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1221219788

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [APG] only complete, up-to-date SSDI
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:43:08 -0400

> In a message dated 9/11/2008 5:14:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> Julia Coldren-Walker <> writes:
>
> I was told, but can not verify, that the death dates for pre 1962
> were for those records where payments were made after Oct 1962 (i.e.
> payments to dependent children & spouses). Remember that wives did
> not need a separate SSN until medicare started in the late 60's. In
> fact I have one (but do not remember which one it is) who has a
> death date of say 6 Jun 1967. This surprised me since I knew the
> man had died in 1959 and I had attended the funeral. When I checked
> my records I noticed the wife had died on 6 Jun 1967 so assume she
> collected under his number and her death date was entered instead
> of his.

replied
:
> Nope--the guideline is merely that deaths reported to SSA are
> included
in
> the SSDI beginning with the digitization process in 1962 onward.
> There
isn't
> anything more complicated about it other than some entries were
obviously missed
> through error or misspellings.
>
> I collect widow's benefits on my husband's account and he's included
in the
> SSDI. The SS # belongs to the insured individual on the account--not
> the auxiliary beneficiaries. The SSDI listings have no bearing on
> auxiliary beneficiaries.

Some yes ago I came across a similar situation. A woman received
widow's benefits. The husband had died before 1962, from other sources,
and thus not in the SSDI. She never had a SSN, before they were required
for all people and she was listed with his SSN and her death date

bob gillis

This thread: