APG-L Archives

Archiver > APG > 2008-09 > 1222604605

From: "SMSys Info" <>
Subject: Re: [APG] Incorrect Online Information
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:23:25 +0100

You are likely to get a multitude of differing views on this question -
because the answer is just whatever you feel satisfied with - and everyone
is different.

Complex or "comprehensive" or "fancy reports" (as in TMG or FTM) is not
always the right answer. Personally, I go for simple - as long as it
satisfactorily (for me) covers all the bases and is "easy" to use. I use PAF
- Personal Ancestral File (free from the LDS church at www.famiysearch.org)
- it is "old" and we are informed it will not be updated --- but it
adequately records names, dates, places, notes, sources (with full
citations, notes, comments and links to scanned images) - very intuitive and
simple to use - but on the down side it has limited reporting facilities
(although reasonably adequate). And being free, I also use it as part of my
deliverables and presentation for my clients as it can be fully installed on
a memory stick with associated data and linked scans of source documents and
simply plugged into the clients pc for immediate use.

Stewart Millar

PS - On the question of what to do about incorrect posted data on the
internet - if you had a real mailing address, you could of course send them
a memory stick with PAF, your data and all the scanned source images linked
in to the event details.